Newsletter 22/10/2014

Dates to Remember – Term 4
November
Mon 3 Pupil Free Day
Tue 4 Melbourne Cup Day Holiday
Thu 6 Orientation-Foundation (Prep) 10-11am
Thu 13 Orientation-Foundation 2-3.15pm
Mon 17 School Council Meeting
Thu 20 Orientation-Foundation 10-12pm/2015 Foundation parent evening 6.30-7.30pm
Fri 21 Newlands Comedy Gala
Sat 28 State Election Fundraising
December
Thu 4 Foundation family picnic 5.30-7pm
Tue 9 2015 Secondary Transition Day
Thu 18 Official Last Day Term4, 2014
Fri 19 Pupil Free Day
Last Updated: 22/10/2014

From the Principal
Visionary Prime Minister
I’m sure there are many people in our community and wider who were beneficiaries of Gough Whitlam’s vision for Australia. On a personal level there were two major reforms that I’m very grateful to Mr. Whitlam for; the removal of conscription to the Vietnam War, and the abolition of fees to attend university – something a number of our current politicians enjoyed at the time I’m sure.
For me Australia is a much richer place for having Gough as PM even though his time in office was short. It will be sometime before another of his type if ever enters ‘The Lodge’ and so majestically commands the attention of the Australian people…….thanks Gough!

3 – 6 Camp
I visited the camp last Thursday to see how everything was going. I visited the Port Nepean historical Quarantine Station; here I learnt a very interesting fact. In the 1990’s Australia accepted 400 refugees from Kosovo. Of that 400 refugees, 90% returned to their country once it had become safe………hmm, maybe a lesson there for our leaders regarding refugee policy.
I finished the day dining with the kids and teachers and enjoyed a very filling meal. I would like to share an observation around table manners of the Newlands kids…….in a word excellent! There was another school group also dining at the same time whose manners left a bit to be desired. As a small school it was great to be able to offer a camp this year and more importantly have teachers to staff it; so thanks to Sonya for organising the camp and thanks to Graeme, Maddy and Kim for attending the camp; great camp!

Pupil Free Days
Monday 3rd, November (day before Melb. Cup holiday)
Friday 19th December (last day of term)
School council at its last meeting approved the above days as pupil free days. The staff will use these days for professional development and planning for 2015. Term 4 will finish on the Thursday 18th at 3.30 pm.

Spanish Teacher
The Spanish/Classroom teacher position has been advertised on the DEECD Recruitment Online website. If you know of anyone who may be qualified, please direct them to the above website.

Spanish Clarification
The concept of a bilingual program is to provide the opportunity for students to develop linguistic skills in another language and to be able to practice these skills. The Newlands concept for the bilingual program follows the model in place in a number of schools around Melbourne. We envisage that students will be developing their Spanish linguistic skills as part of their classroom time, but not all of their time, which seems to be something some people believe will be the case.
To help alleviate some of these misconceptions I have invited an advisor from the Regional Office to do an evening presentation for parents this term. Once the date is confirmed I will invite parents to attend.

School Review Update
The reviewer has completed her in-school work and will be compiling her report sometime this term. During her time at the school she visited classrooms and spoke with staff, parents and students. She was very impressed with how the school presents, the dedication of the staff and how engaged the children are in their learning. Once we have her final report this will be the basis for us as a school community to develop our new 2015-18 school strategic plan.
Ross Dudgeon – Principal

OOSHC
This week the Active after School Care program starts up again. The Australian Government’s Active After-school Communities (AASC) program is a national initiative that provides primary school children with access to free sport and other structured physical activity programs in the after-school time slot. The program aims to engage children in sport and other structured physical activities and through a positive and fun experience, develop a love of sport that inspires them to join a local sporting club. All community coaches are registered and have both police check and working with children check.
Timetable for Term 4
Thursday 4:00pm to 5:00pm Yoga with Anita x 8 sessions
Friday 4:00pm to 5:00pm Lawn Bowls with Julie x 8 sessions

UPDATES & NOTICES
I Am Moreland
Newlands Primary School students were lucky enough to be invited to participate in the “I Am Moreland” Art project that is running as part of the Moreland City Council’s Children’s Week celebrations.
Students in grades 4, 5, & 6 have worked with local artists to create an installation exploring themes of identity, belonging, and being unique. The installations went on exhibit at the Coburg Town Hall Art Space with an Opening Ceremony Tuesday night. Many Newlands students and their families attended and enjoyed the festivities!
If you’d like to visit yourself and see our students’ work on display, the Art Space is in the foyer of the Moreland Town Hall on Bell Street.
Thank you so much to Bianca who always embraces these opportunities for our children and is constantly encouraging them to find new ways to love and create art.

The Newlands Comedy Gala has landed!
Friday 21 November from 7pm
Tickets are now on sale for the 2014 Newlands Comedy Gala.
If you thought last year’s Comedy Gala was amazing, you won’t want to miss this one. We’re bringing you another amazing line up of Melbourne comedians, including some returning favourites. Come along and enjoy Stella Young, Dave O’Neil, Josh Earl, Tina del Twiste, George MacEncroe, Simon Palomares, and Damian Callinan – hosted, of course, by our very own Nelly Thomas.
Book now before it sells out! Tickets are available individually – or book a table of 12 and get a free bottle of wine on the night.
And if you need a reminder about what the punters had to say in 2013:
“Best comedy show I’ve ever seen. And the best value.”
“Best night I’ve had in years – literally. Such top quality performers.”
“We haven’t laughed so hard in a long time!”
“If I’d known it was going to be this good I would have brought my friends!”

Can you help promote our Comedy Gala?
We’re aiming to sell out this year – every ticket sold means more funds raised for Newlands Primary School. Can you help by:

• Inviting your friends to join our Facebook event
  • Distributing our postcards and putting up posters at all your local community venues and favorite haunts
  • Letterboxing a couple of blocks with our postcards.

Please let one of the organising group know and we’ll drop the posters and postcards around to you ASAP.
See you there!
Melanie, Marita, Jane, Kylie, Jo, Sarah & Susie

Rod Quantock comedy performance – Monster Auction prize
If you have any lefty, community, artsy, multicultural, environmental or union contacts who might be interested in bidding on this monster auction prize, can you please pass the attached flyer on to them? If you want an electronic copy, please contact Susie.

FUNDRAISING
Bunnings BBQ
A huge thanks to everyone who volunteered (many of whom stayed well after their shift had ended) for last Saturday’s Bunnings BBQ in Coburg. A special thanks has to go to Adam Palmer (Declan’s dad) who put in a huge effort in the planning and on the day where he worked from 7am through to 4.30pm! It was all well worth the effort as we raised a massive $1900 on the day.
Marita

Aussie Farmers Direct
Are you a customer of Aussie Farmers Direct, or thinking of becoming a customer? Newlands Primary School can earn 2% of your annual grocery spend with Aussie Farmers Direct. Just link your account to our fundraising account at this website (which will also answer any other questions you have). And ask your family and friends to do the same!